Changing my cassette.

glen
Administrator
This post was updated on .
OK, so at the moment I have a shimano "cheap arse" Claris gear set. I intend to keep it like this for the next season and then buy a new lighter bike next year's EOS.

In the mean time I am looking at tweaking my setup now to fit my riding style better. Currently the shimano claris setup is 8speed with a SRAM 11-32 setup. I very rarely use the larger gears and have the only been in the bottom chainset twice. What I can deduce from that is my rear cassette it too big for what I need.

I am pondering changing to a SRAM PG850 12-26 or they do a 12-23.

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on this subject? I think chain length could be an issue here too.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016
Ted

Re: Changing my cassette.

Ted
I have an 8 speed Sora on my (now) Winter bike. I recently just changed the cassette and the chain like for like.

I think that Andrew Knowles runs a really narrow range on his cassette.  How did you do on Vinegar Hill the other night?  Did you drop to the granny ring?

Dr Google reckons you can go from 11-32 to 12-23.  And then chain length.  If the front ring is in good nick could you get away with chain and cassette?

Re: Changing my cassette.

glen
Administrator
Nope, stayed in top chainring on vinegar hill. Think I went to the 32 ring though. i wouldn't lose the ratio of that gear, it would be on the grannygear rather than the big boy gear.

I doubt I will go to the narrowest. Just want something with more "resolution" around the middle grounds. When we sit at 17mph I'm either spinning or pushing a big gear. Want that in between gear.

The chainset is fine. It's only got 800miles on it.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Changing my cassette.

Paul_B
Administrator
Sadly it isn't an easy fix - and due to the "feel" etc of the gears. I have a 9 speed Ultegra with a narrow span, 24-11, and I used to cycle at 95 Cadence.
Along came My Roubaix - different set up on the gears, with a large (poss 32-12 on the rear) - and 95 Cadence was always in the wrong gear, change down, and my legs felt they were working too hard. It has taken me over a year to get my legs used to pushing a higher gear. So, perhaps save your money for the time being, as once winter arrives, the winds etc will demand the use of easier gears (plus the loss of half the group) If you cycle through winter - and chuck in the odd cyclone session, that tougher gear may seem different come March.
There are lots of articles on gears set up, which could prove handy - i guess if there is one gear you feel comfortable in, then look at that and work from there....
Dan from Greenwheels knows his stuff on gears - so may be worth chatting to him.
I cycle a little - sweat a lot!

Re: Changing my cassette.

Dave T
I changed both the cassette & big chain ring on my bike recently to suit my cadence & average speed - it's made a huge difference and allows me to use the full range of gears more effectively.
My set up is 34 tooth small chain ring as standard with a 46 tooth big chain ring, cassette is 9 speed 14 - 25.
I used the gear calculator website below to find out the best set up for me, you can put in different combinations of chain rings, cassettes & pedal cadence to find the best set up without wasting money on the wrong components.

Link: http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

Hope this helps