Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
What do people have for breakfast before an early ride?

I am thinking about the Sunday morning ride. This Sunday I was not feeling very spiritely. I had some chocolate shreddies for breakfast. After an energy gel or 2 and some food at Wadenhoe I felt considerably better.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Frenchie71
Administrator
Porridge for me if I'm wanting to fuel up. Mix some natural honey in it for extra boost.
Maybe chop a banana up in it sometimes.

Toast and jam for a simple normal ride - always with a good strong coffee - caffeine proven to give that scientific kick cyclists want.

Sugar and carbs is the key.
Loving life riding my bike

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Andyk
Administrator
Im with Paul, ....Porridge (big bowl) honey and a banana....i got a Nutribullet blender to so sometimes mix up a drink, handful of spinach leafs, banana, frozen fruit (mango n pineapple) & top with coconut water/tap water.

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Puts my Chocolate shredded to shame. Worst of all they didn't keep hunger locked up til lunch. I didn't even have a coffee on Sunday because I was worried about needing a pee.

I will get honey and porridge added to my shopping list.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Frenchie71
Administrator
With Andy's Nutri bullet recipe - try adding a few scoops of oats to "bulk it up".
Loving life riding my bike

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
Sounds like a good idea. Just need a nutribullet.

I will see if the porridge idea helps next time.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Andyk
Administrator
milk is good post ride to esp with some Whey protein powder

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
Post ride I normally just drink gallons of water. Think I had nearly 3litres on Sunday and still didn't pee properly til that evening. L

Think I need to drink more on the ride. Lol
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Paul_B
Administrator
Porridge for me - definitely with honey.
I find that a coffee beforehand, and a couple of bottles of drink (i use either high5 tabs or powder)
I sweat a lot - so make sure i always have a couple of bottles, even if we are only doing a short route.

When I first started putting more distance rides in - I used to take a banana, fig rolls,flap jacks and jelly babies - even some savory scotch eggs, it is amazing I lost any weight at all!
I cycle a little - sweat a lot!

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
That quite a menu paul. It's made me realise that I was fueling all wrong for our Sunday morning rides and most likely explains why I struggled at the start but felt fine after our stops.

That does beg another question which I will post in a seperate thread.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Mr_Yorky1
Porridge for me too
NFB

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

glen
Administrator
I tried the porridge and an orange before this sundays ride and it made a big difference.

I also kept on top of energy gels. Taking one every 45mins and that really helped keep my legs feeling fresh. In fact it's the first time after getting home from a 30+ ride my legs have not felt like jelly. We even went Pokemon hunting.

I will try that technique again, maybe slowly reducing my gel intake. But at the moment I may have found, with your help, a fueling pattern that works.
"I'm sorry, I'm one of those guys now" Peter Griffin, philospher 2016

Re: Early Morning ride - Fuel

Dave T
Porridge & Blue Berries every morning for me & before a morning ride I'll have a banana about half hour before setting off.
As for fuel on the bike I make my own energy gels & energy drinks using Maltodextrin & fructose mixed at 2:1 ratio - Easy to make up & considerably cheaper than comercial products.
Maltodextrin & Fructose can be purchased from Bulk Powders.

GEL RECIPE FOR 120ml FLASK  (144g Carbs)

8 Tablespoons Maltodextrin (12g of carbohydrates per spoon)
4 Tablespoons Fructose (12g of carbohydrates per spoon)
ΒΌ teaspoon Salt (optional helps aid hydration)
80ml Water
Half teaspoon of flavouring : squash, fruit juice etc

Mix the Maltodextrin, Fructose and Salt in a bowl. Heat water until it steams but do not let it boil. Add about 1/3 of the dry contents to the water; stir with fork until all lumps disappear then add flavoring. Add another 1/3 of the dry mix, stirring until all lumps disappear. Add the remainder of the dry mix, stirring to dissolve all lumps. When dissolved pour into your bottle/container and refrigerate. When cooled, the liquid should flow with the thickness of warm honey.

Note: For energy drink use the same formula as above but add the mix to your water bottle.

Various studies show that we can process between 60 - 90g of carbohydrates per hour so using the above make up the required amount for your ride duration or make up enough for several rides.